Saturday, July 4, 2015

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff is one of the most fun books to read in speech!  I love the whole series (including If You Give a Pig a Pancake and If You Give a Moose a Muffin). This book is one of the best books for simple sequencing, vocabulary, and fun related activities. 


With one of my clients, I am focusing on building basic vocabulary.  On each page as you go through the book there is a picture of what the mouse wants attached with velcro.  While at first, this will just emphasize the words that I want the child to learn, as they improve, we will increase to matching the picture to the word, using the pictures to sequence the book, and mixing them up to allow the child correct me using yes/no.


With every book I like to use "thematic learning" so that my whole session revolves around the book we are reading. I enjoy using coloring activities to learn the words for the colors, give them choices (I typically have them choose between 2-3 color choices), and to give a break of focused language attention.  When we color, I sing the song "This is the way we color the _____, color the ______ color the _____. This is the way we color the _____. We're coloring it ______" I fill in the blanks with whatever we're coloring (in this case the mouse or the cookie) and the color the child chose. 


For one of my language activities, I made a cookie jar.  Each cookie in the "jar" has one of the objects from the book on it.  We will use the jar to review vocabulary and build sentences.  For each cookie we'll place it on the square and say, "There's ______ (scissors, a cookie, a napkin, etc.) on my cookie!" and then place the cookie IN the jar.  I want to work on IN and OUT and this will be one of the ways that we work on the word "in." Every time we finish with a cookie, we'll place it in the jar.  There is a sandwich bag on the back of the jar set up to catch the cookies.  This activity could be used with other vocabulary, actions, directions, etc. What you put on the cookie is up to you.






 We've been working on yes and no questions for a while, so now we'll be working on questions with cookies.  The kiddo will use the spatula to flip over the "cookie" and then we'll ask the question.  The questions currently are about the child's likes and dislikes for yes and no, but can be expanded to any wh- question or more difficult yes/no questions. Some of our questions include "Is this a plane?" and "Are you a boy?" We're using both sign language, body language (head nodding or shaking), and verbal cues to talk about yes and no.  Additionally, we've been reading the Sandra Boynton book "Are You a Cow?" for some extra practice.


We are also still working on generalizing big and little, so I have some pictures of big and little cookies and mice to keep placing in the big and little boxes that I used in Go, Dog. Go

References:

·     
·       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment